Sunday, April 22, 2012

Huh. How 'bout that?

Rob and I were having a conversation about whether doctors were allowed to give bad news over the phone. He was convinced that, at least at some point in time, doctors had to deliver bad news in person. Which is kinda funny when you think about it. If you're waiting on test results and your doc calls you into his/her office instead of telling you over the phone, can't you pretty much assume that it's not good?

In any case, my wonderful husband was wrong. Doctors can, in fact, tell  you bad news over the phone. At about 11 o'clock in the morning. While you're sitting at your desk on a typical, rainy Wednesday. They can tell you that the report just came back this morning and that it's cancer.

At least, that's what my doctor told me.

Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma (IDC). Huh. How 'bout that?

I work with IDCs through my job all time. Incident Determination Committees, that is. The kind of IDC that determines whether someone who alleges to be the victim of domestic violence is, in fact, a victim. Not the kind of IDC that means you have some weird thing pop up in your left boob while you were on vacation in Puerto Rico that isn't supposed to be there.

Puerto Rico, by the way, is lovely. We had an amazing trip and the Yunque Rain Forest is absolutely a "must see". So maybe the weird thing in my left boob was there before we went to Puerto Rico, but that's where we were when I noticed it.

The airports check to make sure there's nothing suspicious in your luggage. But even with one of those TSA body scan thingies, they don't check to see if you have anything funny in your boobs. Bastards.

So there you have it. I turned 31 four months ago. For the first 30 years I've been relatively illness and injury free. The occasional sinus infection or stomach bug here and there. But nothing major. I've been pretty darn healthy. Never smoked. Drink occasionally. Wine is supposed to be good for you, right? I probably don't always eat the healthiest foods, but I can still fit into a size 2, so who cares.

But in the last four months I've had bronchitis, appendicitis, and now frickin' breast cancer. Fo' realz.

So follow along, won't you? You'll laugh... you'll cry... you'll want to hug your dog (I promise to post pictures of the ridiculously awesome Moxie) as I chronicle my adventures of kicking cancer in the teeth!

13 comments:

  1. Well ain't that just a big damn kick in the teeth? Not that anyone is born equipped to deal with this, but with your humor, wit, and overall general fabulosity, I have no doubt that you'll kick cancer's ass all over the place. We're behind you, lady, and we love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only because my friends are so frickin' fabulous. PS - When you're done jet-setting around Hawaii, you so owe me some oysters.

      Delete
    2. Well naturally. I understand that oysters are the traditional gift when one receives a cancer diagnosis.

      Delete
    3. Oysters? Ha! Close but no cigar. I've heard Disney World is the traditional gift when one receives a cancer diagnosis. Wait, or was that winning the Super Bowl? Whatever, I'm stickin' with Mickey.

      Delete
  2. Love you girl. Sending you heaps of love. Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. KIKI been dealing with the big c for over a year now. You just gave me a big kick in the seat to do more than the V.A. is doing for me. would love to talk to you on phone so if and when you feel up to it give me a call. I think you have my # but just in case it is 843-957-2915 cell home is 843 236 8860

    Lets kick this thing Love your common law uncle
    Clint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're on! Talk soon!

      Love,

      Kiki

      Delete
    2. Common Law Uncle. Now that's a cool name for a band!

      Delete
    3. And if it's a Southern Rock band "Common Outlaw Uncle"

      Delete
  4. kiki been dealing with the big c for over year now would love to talk to you on phone give me a call when and if you are up to it
    love Your common law uncle Clint

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for ruining luch, Doc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right!? Could've at least waited 'til after lunch.

      Delete