Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Let's Do the Time Warp Again!

There's an app called Timehop all the cool kids on Facebook are using. I haven't tried it out yet. Because, let's face it... I'm not exactly what you'd call an early adopter. {Sorry marketing and business folks out there.} I mean, it took Apple three versions of the iPad before I considered giving it a whirl. And even after its awesomeness, five versions of the iPhone before I'd jump on the bandwagon. So I haven't actually experienced Timehop first-hand, but the gist of it seems to be the app chooses a Facebook post of yours from this exact day sometime in your history. The results are often hilariously out of context. Or strangely prophetic. That's part one of my inspiration for this post. 

Part two is considerably less whimsical...but equally Facebook related. Today I was reminded of a friend on Facebook who, like so many, kindly and graciously reached out to me during treatment. What was unique about the message from this highschool acquaintance was her mom was in the midst of the very same treatment for the very same diagnosis at the time. The reminder came to me today in the form of a post about her mother's recent passing. Ironically, it appeared in my feed immediately below a post of an article about Vinnie. {The real irony is that my feed has been scrubbed clean of most all cancer-related pages and groups...but one slips through every now and again.}

I refuse to say this friend's mom lost her battle, as that is one of the many, many cancer-isms I've come to barely tolerate.  While I appreciate its attempt to soften the blow - much kinder and gentler than hearing of someone who died from cancer - it suggests some sort of shortcoming or weakness or failure on the part of the diagnosed. Language in general is powerful. The language of cancer is complicated. And ill-fitting. Like wearing a shoe one-size too small. And on the wrong foot.

So while labels like survivor feel misplaced, other labels like graduate student have grown quite comfortable. But times they are a-changing. And that label has changed a bit, too. And while Timehop seems like it would make for a fun meander down memory lane, this - to me - feels much more like a  time warp. So put your hands on your hips...

  • On or about May 2nd 2012 I was just wrapping up with my old position, had had a marathon day of imaging-imaging-and-more-imaging, and we met with the medical oncologist for the first time.
This year I celebrated my last day ever of graduate school.
  • On or about May 10th two years ago I was just getting some good news back from the genetic counselor. And whining about how ouch-y my new mediport still was.
This year...I went to P.R.O.M.!
This year wasn't actually all that different. As I sat for - and passed! - the Licensed Graduate Social Worker exam.
And was published as a university student success story.
  • And last, but definitely not least, on or about May 17th 2012 we were in count down to chemo mode. This year...
...I finally made my way across that stage. Master's degree in hand!



     

No comments:

Post a Comment