Thursday, May 3, 2012

Metronome

Actual conversation between me and Rob today.

Me: That's the last time you're going to mention cadaver nipples.

Rob: No, this is NOT the last time I'm going to talk about cadaver nipples...'cause that's the name of my new band.

Maybe you had to be there.

Today was another marathon 'o appointments. Starting with a chest CT scan. Good news! It was all clear. Then a quick trip over to nuclear medicine to get injected with the dye for a bone density scan. Next up was the medical oncologist. And that's where things got wacky.

Stay with me on this one. So you remember the goods news from the other day that my cancer cells are estrogen, progesterone, and HER2 positive? Well, the medical oncologist really liked that. Going so far as to say that if she had breast cancer, that's the kind of cancer she would want to have. Kind of a strange thing to say, but okay. Anyway, she really liked my positive cells because there are some really good chemo drugs that will kick their asses. Her recommendation: chemo before surgery.

Six treatments of chemo, with three weeks in between each treatment, for a total of about four and a half months. I'll have to post the details of the specific types of chemo later, as I'm trusting my memory right now and my notes are elsewhere. But they're supposed to be fairly mild, as chemo drugs go. The typical side effects are still to be expected. Fatigue, hair loss, nausea... a few others I'm forgetting. I can expect my hair to release just before the second treatment. The goods news? I get to keep my eye lashes and eye brows. Good thing, I just had them waxed.

So the medical oncologist moves pretty fast and furious. I finished up my bone density scan and got s'more blood work. Tomorrow Rob and I are scheduled for a two-hour chemo class and I'm supposed to have my mediport... installed? That can't be the right word. You get my point. But not without first meeting with the surgical oncologist again to make sure everyone on Team Cancer Sucks is on the same page.

Umm...what else? Oh, yeah. And I have to go for an echocardiogram sometime in the next week or so. I think that's it.

Anyway, these new appointments tomorrow are putting a major cramp in our road tripping plans. And I'm thinking we may have to make our celebratory plans locally. So who's up for some Cinco de Rob-o birthday celebrating on Saturday?

And now... your joke of the day:

Q: What do you call a short guy with a manicure? 

A: A metronome.

Rob had me laughing inappropriately loudly in the hospital at that one today. Enjoy!  

7 comments:

  1. It is installed...and you'll love it. Makes getting those tricky drugs so much easier!

    Never be afraid to laugh it up at the hospital...what place could possibly need it more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if there's one thing I'm good for, it's inappropriate humor. And trying to figure out what else I can get into this port besides chemo drugs.

      Delete
  2. Shit. I bought you fake eyelashes and they don't take returns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can we make your cat wear them while he's getting his asthma treatment? They might make him feel pretty and less bitey.

      Delete
  3. I have a freind who plucked her eyebrows to the point they stopped growing. She drew them in everyday! We finally chipped in and she got them tattoo'd.
    Have you concidered this?
    Rather than the traditional route of the artsy bandana, a collection of celebrity wigs? (For Rob and the pets to wear). Johnny Bravo, Conehead, Dolly, Rick james, Keith Richards, Bozo...
    Could also be a party theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She tattooed her face? She's far more hardcore than I'll ever be! Also, Charlie would totally rock a Rick James wig. He'll be all like, "What did the five fingers say to the face?"

      Delete
    2. SMACK!!!
      Can you teach PeeWee to say "I'm Rick James Bitch!!"

      Delete