Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Dog days o' summer

I'm pretty sure when I ran home at lunch today to pick up the dogs for the groomer's (and by ran, I mean walked from my air conditioned office to my air conditioned car as quickly as my tired, anemic ass would carry me), they were both trying to give me the middle finger for 1) interrupting their eight hour nap, and 2) making them go outside in the midst of a DC heatwave. Well joke's on you guys... you don't even have middle fingers! And your thumbs are on your elbows... which is just weird. So off to the groomer's they went!

Kelley at Gone to the Dogs does a great job. Can't get enough Moxie cuteness? Get your Moxie fix HERE.
Charlie, the eternal hipster, is too cool and ironic for Facebook.
Apart from today's adventure in canine hygiene, this week has been a exercise in doing as little as possible. And I do believe I've succeeded. I'm gonna blame that on the heat. And the chemo. See also: tired. See also: anemic.

I'm starting to get an idea of what the docs are talking about when they say the effects of chemo are cumulative. The fatigue hit me a lot faster - and stayed a little longer - on Three than it did with One or Two. With the first two treatments, days 4 and 5 were probably my laziest. This time it was days 2 through 5. Day 6 was a full day back to work again (I learned my lesson from One and have not been going back to work on Day 5) and today, Day 7, I finally feel normal.

I've also noticed that each treatment cycle has come with unique side effects (the acne and the nosebleeds were really annoying) in addition to the old faithfuls (dry mouth / metallic taste, heartburn, muscle ache / fatigue, hot flashes, runny nose, and tingling hands). Fortunately all of these have been pretty tolerable/manageable. And! The GI ugginess has been pretty minimal. Though, if number Three were to have a theme, GI ugginess* may be it. As Monday's delicious Chipotle lunch made a not-so-delicious reappearance later that evening and other meals for the last few days seem to be taking their leave rather expeditiously. That's lady-like, right?

In other news: it's time to feed those well-groomed dogs. Have a great evening!



*word credit to Alyssa

2 comments: