Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Kicking ass and taking names

I've had two appointments in last two days. One with kinda crappy news and the other with really good news. Let's start with the crappy, shall we?

Yesterday I had my regular pre-chemo check up, complete with blood work. The docs perform a CBC before each treatment to make sure I'm still healthy enough to be poisoned. This test looks at white blood cells (for fighting off infection), and red blood cells and hemoglobin (for oxygenating all the important stuff). Normal limits for hemoglobin are 12.0 to 15.0 g/dL. So I did not get a gold star yesterday when mine was only 9.9. But it did explain why the hill I walk to my car from my office each day seems to have gotten steeper over the last few days. It also means I'll need to increase my red meats and other iron-rich foods. I'll also talk to the infusion nurses tomorrow about supplements and other things I can do to increase my counts. If not, and if my counts falls anywhere below 9.0, a transfusion may be in my future. Let's hope not. Fingers crossed!

And now for the good news!
Mom went with me to my check up with the surgical oncologist and she could not feel the mass (the surgeon that is, not Mom)! In fact, she had to look back at her notes from before chemo started to see where it was. And even then, she still couldn't feel anything wonky in the Evil Twin. What was (just a mere 6 weeks and 2 chemo treatments ago) a 3x3x2 cm tumor, is now running away with its tail between its legs. Wait. Do tumors have tails? Probably not. But the point is I am kicking cancer's ass! So now breast-conserving surgery is back on the table after I've finished chemo. I'll follow up with the surgeon again as I get closer to Chemo #6 and will decide then if a lumpectomy  (and possibly radiation) is the best course. Or if a mastectomy (potentially bilateral) with reconstruction to cut down (no pun intended) on the risk of recurrence is still the best plan.

Until then... can I get a HELL YEAH for kicking cancer's ass?

8 comments:

  1. HHEELL YEAH!! AWESOME, AWESOME news!! Wwwinning!
    You have tiger (tigress?) blood!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I'm on a drug. It's called Charlie She--- err uh --- chemotherapy!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the good news about the tumor. Sucks that your counts are low tho. Whenever Dana's counts were low, mom served red meat that night. So dinner became a good gauge as to howdanas appointments went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I suppose there are worse things that could be prescribed.

      Delete
  3. Awesome, fantastic news!! We're thrilled for you! Let's go to a steakhouse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make it surf'n'turf and youve got a deal! Clams are stupidly high in iron. As are oysters, but the raw kind are still a no-no and cooked oysters are just plain wrong in my book.

      Delete
    2. Agreed. Is there a good steak and seafood place between our houses? (Or closer to your 'hood?)

      Delete
    3. Madigans in Occoquan is quickly growing on me. Not much on ambiance (aside from the waterfront), but the menu isn't half bad (www.madiganswaterfront.com). But I'm wide open to suggestions. I guess Manassas is half way, but I'm out of touch on what's good to eat around there. Do they have a Bonefish, or is that Centreville?

      Delete