Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Count down to Chemo #4

Today was pre-chemo check-up day... woohoo! Here's the run down on my top 3 gripes ... err uh side effects from this last treatment cycle. 

  1. Edema. I already took you on an adventure into Fat Footville, so I won't rehash all the glorious details here. But I will tell  you what the oncologist had to say about it: It's a normal side effect of Taxotere. Expect it to get worse with these upcoming treatments. And it will go away. Thaaaaaanks.
  2. Shortness of breath and muscle fatigue. As in, one flight of stairs is do-able. Two flights of stairs - and throw in a basket of laundry for good measure - and my lungs and quads feel like I'm half-way through a Metabolic Effect class. The doc's take on this: I have my good friend anemia to thank. 
  3. Weight gain. Now I'm more inclined to blame this on attribute this to side effect number 2, which has lead to an increased lack of physical activity. Well, that, and the overall general fatigue, and the swamp monkey butt heat and humidity that is a Virginia summer. But what's the doc say? You're not gaining weight, you're retaining water. So stay away from the scale. Also, that dress looks fabulous on you. (Maybe I made that last one up, but it was a pretty fabulous dress.) My response to her: Try telling that to all of the clothes and shoes that don't fit at the moment.

All in all, it was a good check up. I'm still doing well with treatment and my hemoglobin is still low, but not transfusion low so it was a good day. The doc also cleared me to go back to grad school for the Fall semester... which Rob and I are still deciding on. If I do, it will just be one class (Issues in International Social Development - jealous much?) instead of two.

And now I'm all set for Chemo Day 4 tomorrow. Dad has got the breakfast shift, so he'll be picking me up bright 'n' early. Then Rob will come up for the lunch shift. There's just one thing I'm missing... my theme song!

What should it be? I haven't heard anything really inspiring this week, so leave me a comment with what you think Theme Song #4 should be.

To help you along, here's a recap from previous treatments:

Chemo Day 1: Pat Benatar - Hit Me with Your Best Shot
Chemo Day 2: David Guetta - Titanium
Chemo Day 3: Bon Jovi - Livin' on a Prayer



3 comments:

  1. You can always kick it old school with some MJ vintage dance moves or new school power chick rock with some Clarkson. Both good choices IMHO.

    http://youtu.be/Ym0hZG-zNOk

    or

    http://youtu.be/Xn676-fLq7I

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I suggest the "amazing" Rick James! I don't believe there is a human being alive who can stand still while listening to "Super Freak!" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely going on The Big C playlist somewhere!

      Delete