Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Confession time

Okay, I have a confession to make to you all. Yesterday, I broke down and got one of these...
This is the temporary Temporary Placard. The permanent Temporary Placard (good for 6 months) should arrive in the mail next week.
Now, before anyone freaks out, I have NOT taken a turn for the worse. I repeat, I have NOT taken a turn for the worse. I do, however, have what we in my office refer to as heart healthy parking.
See the structure vaguely off in the distance? Just there on the horizon? That's my office.
And this is the view of the parking lot as I leave my office every afternoon.
It's not terribly obvious in either of these photos, but our parking lot is not only large, it's also on an incline. Let's do a little math, shall we? Steep hill + anemia + 100 degree weather + good ol' Virginia swamp monkey butt humidty = potential for a face plant on the sidewalk.

Another disclaimer: I have NOT face planted on the sidewalk. Or anywhere else, for that matter. But my motivation for requesting special people parking came from three places.

First, it was in the name of research and making myself smart on available resources. Love me some resources - can't help it, it's the social worker in me. For anyone who's curious, obtaining a Temporary Disabled placard in Virginia is very simple.

Step 1 - complete VA DMV form MED 10.
Step 2 - ask your medical provider to sign page 2 under the LICENSED PHYSICIAN / PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT / NURSE PRACTITIONER MEDICAL CERTIFICATION section.
Step 3 - Bring the form, along with a valid ID, and $5 to your nearest VA DMV branch (I believe you can also mail it in.)

Second, Rob told me a very compelling story of someone from his early days in our beloved Corps who locked his knees in formation (rookie mistake) and face planted the parade deck. Then something about biting through his own cheek... busting out a whole bunch of teeth... and general visage disfigurment. So I thought meh, why risk it? 

And third, special people parking really could come in handy this holiday season.

2 comments:

  1. I say good move. Take whatever perks you can get from the situation. They are there for a reason and you've more than earned them!
    XO, Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better rock that parking pass girl!!!

    ReplyDelete