Monday, June 18, 2012

Snooze button

Fledgling blogger that I am, I've spent a little time checking out my peers in the blogosphere. One of my absolute favs - long before this pesky little cancer thing cropped up - is The Bloggess. She's completely inappopriate and totally hilarious. And she drinks wine slushies. My kind of girl.

Another is Flo from Newfoundland who is a year (almost to the day) ahead of me in her breast cancer adventure. That's pretty much where our likenesses end. But! She's issued herself a challenge (you know, cause beating cancer wasn't enough on her plate) To Find 100 Perks Of Having Cancer. Flo started her blog eight months ago and is already up to perk #96. Not bad for someone with chemo brain.

So I was thinking of Flo and her 100 perks this morning when my alarm when off at it's usual time... and realized I had at least another 30 minutes of zzz's to be catching.

You see, that alarm was set for someone with a rigorous morning of hair care ahead of her. Not for someone sporting my sassy new 'do. So, 30 minutes later, I laughed at myself just a little as I applied volumizing shampoo and conditioner to my fuzzy head. Then towel dried and went on my way. This is truly wash'n'wear hair!

And for anyone who's curious...

My hair had started coming out on its own last Thursday (day 15 of chemo cycle #1). Nothing dramatic, just shedding a bit more than usual. So up it a ponytail (to keep the shedding contained) it went, and off to work I went.

Same for day 16, though I took extra precautions and opted for a bun.

But by Saturday (day 17), the drain in my shower was filling up much more quickly and the typical collection of hair was starting to resemble a small, drowned rodent. My hair was making a break for it. So for fear of not having anything left to shave by the time we reached my salon, I skipped even the towel-drying and wrapped everything up in a scarf around my head. Off we went, and then off it went.

I'd read that by getting rid of the weight of your hair, it can help slow down the releasing process. You know, what with gravity and all. And, so far, that seems to be true. But Rob has promised to bic it for me if I start to resemble the dog from Steel Magnolias.


He's a good man. 'Spose I'll keep 'em.


No comments:

Post a Comment